Kept Handy

Monday, June 7, 2010

A Summer of Peaches

Every year when the peaches first come out, I am reminded of a special summer that started simply and became one of my fondest memories.

I was living at home still and neighbors who lived down the street had a peach tree in their backyard (which happened to be adjacent to ours). That year, the tree produced an abundance of peaches. So many, that our neighbor invited us to take as many peaches as we wanted because they would otherwise go to waste.

My mother knew how much I loved peaches so she went down to the yard one morning, picked a few from the tree, brought them home and sliced them up. Placing the slices in a bowl, she then poured a splash of milk over them and called me for breakfast.

It was heaven. Fresh, light, juicy and that sweet fragrance that is -- for me -- the scent of summer.

To my delight, my mother repeated this ritual every morning that summer. She never needed to ask if I wanted them...she just quietly did it. In a family of six, this kind of attention was rare, making this breakfast that much sweeter.

Today, just the sight of peaches at a Farmers Market...or word from Produce Pete that peaches are in season...reminds me of those wonderful 2 lazy summer months when a bowl of the freshest, sweetest fruit was lovingly prepared for me by my mother. No meal will ever top it.

1 comment:

  1. I have fond memories, too. As a child, I used to work with my dad during the summers. On the way to one of the jobs, there was a peach tree, right on the side of the road. I remember one summer we stopped several times and brought home a big bag of peaches. But, the best part was that my dad would always give me the first one to taste, before we filled our bag.

    ReplyDelete