Kept Handy

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dinner Conversation -- #1



"Dinner Conversations" are weekly posts about food, food preparation, the history of food or random thoughts about food or food trends... Wow. Could be dull. Hope there's more spice to this than the description lets on.


There is...as I mentioned at the start of this blog...a competitiveness that's sweeping kitchens. I believe it's fueled by a number of things, including the competition shows on television. They can be fun to watch (to a point) but I don't consider this to be the nurturing spirit that "cooking for others" is all about. For me, cooking is about preparing food for someone else, creating something for that person to truly enjoy, not about preparing something to show off. I don't think cooking is as much about the "cook" as it is about the "cook-ee"...

I was thinking about this when I heard this program and thought I'd share it. Maybe this feels like "
community building" to some, but to me it just seems unnecessarily stressful...even, dare I say it, OK...selfish. Pick a chef (or two) and call it a day. Doesn't anyone remember the ol' adage, "too many chefs..."?

No comments:

Post a Comment